The Magic of the Monorail


On a recent trip to Walt Disney World, I spent most of my day walking around Epcot in the brutal heat, taking photos and sampling a bite to eat here and there. It was mostly a "research trip" for the blog, or, at least, that's what I'll tell my accountant when he wonders why I'm trying to write off a bowl of udon noodles, After a while, I decided that it was time to head over to Magic Kingdom for a little more "research" - I hadn't checked on LeFou's Brew in a while, and I had to make sure that it was still as good as I remembered it. You know, for science.

While waiting for the monorail, I saw a lot of miserable, unhappy people. The park was somewhat crowded, it was hot - truth be told, I wasn't even at my 100% Disney best. I really just wanted the monorail to arrive so I could get back into the air conditioning. Nearby I saw another party waiting for the monorail: a little boy and his grandfather. The little boy was excitedly playing with a monorail toy, Monorail Red, if I remember correctly, and asking his grandfather when the monorail was going to arrive. His grandfather told him that it would be there soon, and the kid continued playing for a few moments before looking down the monorail track with great anticipation. I smiled and laughed, commenting that it was good to see someone get so excited at Disney.

The grandfather informed me that the monorail was his grandson's favorite "attraction" and insisted that they ride it around the circuit at least once on every visit to the parks. Looking around again at the miserable people once again, it made me think that sometimes we miss the magic at the parks - the little things, especially, even the transportation. When I saw that little boy's eyes widen as the monorail turned around the track on its approach, I thought about Walt Disney and his love of trains. Seeing someone else's magic made my day at the parks that much more magical.

So next time you're at Walt Disney World, take a moment out of your day and consider the little things. I don't care if you have sunburn, sweat dripping down your back, and a cranky kid. If you look hard enough, or, alternately, don't try to look too hard at all, I'm sure you'll find something that'll bring a smile to your face, just like that little kid with the monorail.

If you enjoyed this post, please head on over to the new site - MyWDW.net!

No comments :

Post a Comment