Macaroni and Cheese Hot Dog from Fairfax Fare - Snack Review


On any given boiling hot summer day at Disney's Hollywood Studios, you're going to need some seriously hearty fare to get yourself moving again. Then again, you probably don't want to bog yourself down with too many carbs, unless you're me, of course! That's why on my last trip to Hollywood Studios, I decided to pick up an item I've been looking at trying for quite some time, but was never quite willing to pull the trigger on: the macaroni and cheese hot dog with truffle oil from Fairfax Fare. If you need to read that eight word name one more time, go on ahead, I'll keep waiting.

So where do you get this monstrosity? At the end of Sunset Boulevard, in the shadow of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. It's really pretty appropriate, to be perfectly honest. Every healthy cell in my body was making the same noises that the latest guests to the Hollywood Tower Hotel were, but I sat myself down in a nice, shady spot near Rosie's Victory Garden and stared at the beast I was about to consume.

As you can see in the picture above, you're dealing with your standard, fairly large (but not foot long, thank goodness) Walt Disney World hot dog, topped with fluorescent yellow mac and cheese, which itself is topped with bacon. Allegedly there is truffle oil in the mix, as well, but I honestly can't say that I tasted it. Unfortunately, that is not where the criticism ends, either. The macaroni and cheese was an entirely bland affair. The pasta was cooked beyond recognition, more of a squishy yellow mass than anything recognizable as macaroni. The bright yellow cheese, so tempting in its artificial glow, didn't even really hit my palate as anything detectable, either. The bacon gave a bit of its flavor, of course, but then it tasted like a hot do topped with bacon, which I suppose is not really a bad thing at all. The problem, though, is that it just feels carby. What do I mean by that?

Well, I'm not health nut, but when I indulge, I want those indulgences to be worth the calories and fat I'm spending, and this food item, to my dismay, was not that. Perhaps I got a bad batch of macaroni and cheese, but this just felt like I was chewing on two different textures of carb: bread and squishy mac. I'm afraid that this one is not an item I can recommend, based on my experience. Maybe I had a bad batch of macaroni, and yours might fare differently? Either way, this item gets a thumbs down from me. Perhaps next time I'll check out the picnic dog with BBQ pork and cole slaw - meat on top of meat seems like a better combination!

If you enjoyed this post, please head on over to the new site - MyWDW.net!

No comments :

Post a Comment