Rose & Crown Pub - Pub Review


Many people go to Epcot to accomplish the "drinking around the world" feat - having an alcoholic beverage in each country, with a total of 11 drinks. One problem with this, ignoring that you'll probably be far too drunk to recognize what is Disney appropriate and what is not, is that you miss the details of the places you can get your libations from. Take for example, the Rose & Crown Pub, located in front of the Rose & Crown Dining Room. This little spot will have you feeling like you're in your hometown bar, with great drinks and completely unhealthy pub fare to top it all off with.

Too many empty glasses lining the bar
Now, one thing I will point out: this place is quite small. You'll find yourself bumping elbows with your neighbors on a moderately busy day, and on a very busy day, it might not be the best spot to stop and sip. I went on a more moderate day, so it was fairly relaxed. The bartenders were extremely friendly, even stopping to chat during downtime. The people sipping their pints next to me at the bar also joined in the conversation, and it really just started to feel like Cheers - you know, where everybody knows your name. This was truly the best bar experience that I've had in all of Walt Disney World - the kind of place that if you hang out long enough, you feel like you can make a friend or two. Don't let that distract your from your main goal here: drinks and, of course, a bit of pub nibbles.

Menu Side 1

Menu Side 2
Now there are plenty of options available to those who visit, from beers to wines to cocktails. I decided to go with a blend of cider and black currant juice called a Cider & Black.

Cider & Black
The drink was a bit on the sweet side, using Strongbow Cider (a fairly dry beverage) and a touch of black currant juice, which I imagine must be incredibly sweet by itself. It really hit the spot, and after a few sips, I started perusing the food menu. Fish and chips are always a strong option, but I can get those right next door at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop. Scotch eggs are a pretty authentic choice, but I've never particularly been one for eggs in which the yolk is intact (we all have our moments of being picky eaters, I suppose). The last option left was the battered banger and chips - a battered, deep fried sausage on a stick with nice, thick cut chips on the side. Deciding that I'd exercised enough lately, and that my cardiovascular system was up to the task, I decided to dive right in to that item.

The picture of health
The chips were... well... chips. Very nice with a bit of malt vinegar. The battered banger was delicious - something between a corn dog and fish and chips. The banger itself was of good quality, very juicy and delicious - if you're a fan of sausage, you'll certainly not be disappointed. On the side, we have ketchup (which I neglected in favor of vinegar) and Branston mayonnaise, which I had never encountered before. Foolishly, I didn't ask exactly what the item was (and if any British readers want to fill me in on exactly what I was eating, I'd be glad to hear from you!), but it reminded me of a thousand island dressing - tangy, creamy, with small chunks of pickle. Not normally my thing, but it went exceptionally well with the banger.

If you are looking for a pleasant way to spend a little bit of time out of the chaotic hustle and bustle of Epcot, the Rose & Crown Pub is definitely the way to go. In the evenings, they have entertainment, though the Hat Lady has retired, you can still find a bit of song to go with your ale, though I missed out on that particular experience! I will definitely be heading back here in the future for a bit of an unwind, and get to know my fellow Disney World travelers in this extremely friendly little bar.

If you enjoyed this post, please head on over to the new site - MyWDW.net!

No comments :

Post a Comment